While yes its a great U2 song, its also something we experience with our kids. No matter how old they get or how little they are (right Chele?) they just will do something that makes your heart grow just when you think you can't possibly love them more.
Last night dear Husband was working late, Jackson was at a neighbors swimming so it was just me and the Nater. He was pretty wound up as usual, but I declared it time for jammie's. We went through our routine and got him all cleaned up and ready for bed. I was at my sheer exhaustion level at this point, but monkey wanted some "wa wa" so I got him a little ice water and flopped down on the sofa. Just to take a breath before putting him to bed.
Nate went and got his blanket, his pacifier, and had his water cup in the crook of his little arm and came over and climbed up on the sofa next to me. He sat and just looked up at me and smiled THE biggest smile revealing his one dimple as if he was just so happy it was just he and I. He started talking, well his version of talking, where you get a word or two in there that you truly understand (or I do because I'm with him all day) and then he'd babble on his own little Nate language. He was very serious about whatever it was he was telling me about - raising his little eyebrows, and making "big eyes" and even saying "oh wow" a few times. Most of the time he's talking about the storms in the fireplace (where he hears the rain in the fireplace). After a little while he rubbed his eyes and I knew that he was winding down.
I said "hey Nate, I love you monkey" and he laid his little head down over on my shoulder and said "ni ni" and that was the end of our evening.
I get frustrated because he speaks all day long, very animated and exaggerated, but we don't what he's trying to say. But moments like that just make it all real that while he's growing up fast, he's still my baby that needs us to teach him and love him and nourish him and do our best to understand him.
The name Nathan means "He Gave" or "Gift from God" and there couldn't be a more perfect name for my youngest. He truly reaffirms in all of us that He sends us these little angels to see His perfection, His love for us as His children, and to teach us to love even more.
All children are Gifts, open them slowly.
3 comments:
Right Jules! Another feel good post to get the day off on the right foot.
It occurs to me that from time to time there is validation that perhaps we were a little better at parenting than we thought at the time. I just had one of those moments. Thank you for what you have become.
Love ya,
Dad
GIRL! I am balling my eyeballs out! How sweet and oh so true!
Love you chickie!!
Post a Comment