Sunday, July 27, 2008

Girls Night Out..

Boy its funny to me to think about how "Girls Night Out" and changed over the years. The whole thing really makes me laugh.

Lets see - as a young teen - Girls Night out meant that one or two of us spent the night at another girls house. We'd read Teen magazine, talk about our latest crushes, do facials, watch movies, eat a bunch of junk food, stay up late and sleep in in the morning.

College days - Girls Night out (cause lets face it we didn't do many girls nights outs when we were dating in high school, it was all about being out with our dudes), well those were way different. We'd spend our afternoons doing our nails, scraping together change to buy beer, and on the phone finding out where the latest and greatest party was going to be that night. We wouldn't even START getting ready to go out until 9-10 at night cause that's when things got going... we'd dance and drink cheap beer, and stay out way WAY past my bedtime. Fun times indeed!

Fast forward like 20 years.

14 years of marriage, 2 kids, and more work and housework than I care to think about..

I had Girls Night out twice this month. UNHEARD OF!

Last weekend of course was the MAMA Mia movie.. home by 9:30.

Last night (Saturday night) I went over to my friends house that lives 2 doors down. There were 5 of us and we just hung around, having some wine, cheese, fruit, more wine, listening to 80s music and dancing around the kitchen laughing at how bad we all dance.. realizing that its 10pm and thinking "geez, I gotta go home". Then realizing that husbands and children are asleep so we may has well stick around for a bit...

then its midnight and that "oh no Hubby is playing golf tomorrow am at 6, I better go home" - So wow yeah i stayed out until Midnight.. came home and found my 9 yr old sacked out in my spot in bed with dear hubby, so I crashed on the sofa with the ever so faithful snuggle dog Paco. Up at 7am for coffee, hubby asks if I was feeling bad from my big night out and I laughed so hard. My wild girls night out.

I had more chips and salsa than I needed.
I had more chex mix than my dad at Christmas
I had 2 glasses of wine.
and I had more chocolate covered strawberries than the legal limit allows and should not have had that last one. Totally impaired my blood sugar levels.

I had a great time. Its nice to sit around with other moms and women like myself that consider this a wild night out these days.

Best part - waking up feeling only tired (not sick and head achy) and having Jackson push me to get up and shower to go to church.. and having the whole day to get things done without the hangover.

Yeah, Girls Night Out has changed.. for the better.. a good time had... a glass or two of wine.. fun conversation and silliness.. a decent nights sleep.. and a good next day.

I think I like the change!

6 comments:

Chele said...

Yay You! I'm so glad you are making time for yourself again!
I hope your Dad already knows about those college parties. lmao

Jack said...

No surprises here. I even know about the Hot Buns Contest. One day you'll make it to the next level.....a good day is when you wake up with no NEW pains.

Love ya,
Dad

Chele said...

Hot Buns Contest? I want to see a post about this one!

Jules said...

Dang dad busted me out! lmao

Anonymous said...

LMAO.....ya'll are cracking me up! I guess i am somewhere in the middle there of Jules and Dad....I am beginning to just be happy waking up with no pains! Jules, thanks for bringing back some memories of high school/college! Emily found two pictures of me in college with some girlfriends the other night....in one I was holding a beer! "OMG, MOM! You were drinking!!" Lordy, I think she stashed that picture in case she ever needs to use it against me! :-)

Jules said...

Ok La thanks - benefit of having an older sister.. "burn all college photos" lol