Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ode to Dogs

Oh my dogs. I love them both. We got Paco first, he is a chihuahua and rat terrier mix that a friend found in her neighborhood abandoned at the ripe young age of about 6 weeks old. He was tiny - and scared and just took over all our hearts immediately. He's more like a cat. We call him catdog because he lays on the backs of our furniture and if you sit down he's in your lap. He will even lay across your shoulders (ala cat style) if he so desires. Paco rules the roost, he does whatever he wants and gets away with it. He's now a whopping 5 pounds.

We decided to get another dog way before Nathan was even a glimmer in our eyes. We decided Paco needed a friend and Jackson needed a more "robust" pup to play with because honestly we were afraid Paco would break in half one day. So dear Husband saw a Welsh Corgi on the dog show. He said it was the coolest looking dog, etc.. and so the hunt was on. We found a lady in Florida that had Corgi pups.. so off we went. We immediately loved the spunk of the Corgi's. We were sold, hook line and sinker! So we traveled back home with the pup we named Angel Belle.

She was so adorable and tiny - she could stand under Paco who we thought was minitaure. She had these big furry ears and slept on her back with all fours up in the air.
Then she grew up. Bella (as we call her) takes after her mama (me) and grew out instead of up! She has these tiny short legs and this BIG belly and well she's overweight. She's still full of energy when she hears food being poured or made.. and if Nathan is in his high chair - she abounds with endless energy to get to him.

So my dogs are like 2 more kids. I take them out to do their business, I make sure they have food and water, I bath them, I walk them sometimes, and I love them. They test me just like kids do, and they frustrate me beyond belief with their shedding and occassional eating something they SO shouldn't (like Nates Easter basket full of chocolate or Jackson's favorite shoe) but they are family.

So here Im sharing my pups with ya - pics and all!

Paco




Bella puppy




Big Bella



oh I forgot to mention that Bella likes to think she's a tiny lap dog like Paco and attemps to teeter on the back of the sofa just like him




but as much they fight for attention and food droppings, they do love each other




See - just like kids!

2 comments:

Chele said...

LMAO! I'm sorry but you thinking Bella is big just cracks me up! BIG is having two 80 pound furbabies. Our cat is as big as Bella. lol! However, when you compare Bella to Paco she is big so I'll cut you some slack.

You are so right! They are your family and your children and it's like having two more kids.

Chase is like having a toddler...we're still waiting for him to catch on that he needs to put back all the toys he drags out and leaves all over the house. lol! Loved the pics!

Jack said...

Jules,
Thanks for giving our "granddogs" equal billing.

The old man