When we had Jackson, almost 10 years ago in October, and decided to name him Jackson we got some funny looks. "Oh thats an interesting first name, I like it" of course NOW you hear it everywhere you go. Funny how that works. So how did we pick that name before its time?
My Dad is an only child. He had 2 daughters. Dad is the last living relative and sadly, the last to have the name Jackson. So it seemed only logical when we found out we were having a boy that we'd call him Jackson.. a tribute to our wonderful family and our family name. Now, it will go on. Little did we know how special our Jackson would be.
He's my oldest. He drives me bonkers some days. But man is he an amazing kid with a big huge heart!
When he was old enough to talk, he'd tell us stories of when he was an angel in heaven. Im talking crazy stories about going camping in Canada with Jesus and how there were bears there but they didn't bother the angels because they were protected. Around the age of 3, he would talk about his baby brother that he met in heaven, as angels before either were born. We would smile and say "oh really" and he was very adamant about how we would have another baby boy and we would just say "I don't think so buddy" because we were not planning on having anymore children. Well, 8 years later here we meet this baby brother angel much to our surprise. He just said "see I told you".
Make ya wonder, doesn't it?
Jackson is a great big brother. He was so excited about our pregnancy and watching the baby move, and he went to every sonogram I had! There are a lot of things that I know I will forget over the years from the day Nathan was born, but one thing that I will never forget is the look on Jackson's face when he walked into my room and saw his baby brothers face for the first time. He was his brave "Im going to smile and not cry"face that everyone that know him is familiar with. It was instant love.
Speaking of big hearts, when Hurrican Katrina hit and Jackson saw the devestation and horror on the tv, he decided that he had to DO SOMETHING for those poor people. He took it upon himself to get on his bike for several days in a row in the HOT GA sun, and go door to door collecting money. We made a can out of an old coffee can and he would make me stand back on the street and let him back up and do it himself, it was his mission. HE wouldn't stop until he was satisfied. He raised a little over $400, and boy you can just iamgine the pride hubby and I felt when we took him to the Red Cross to hand it over. There was even a small write up in our local paper about it. See, his heart is big.
And for a final total brag fest on my oldest, he's smart too! He's maintained the all A honor roll every year in school, as well as been awarded the Citizenship award the past 3 years by his peers. That is an award that his fellow students and teachers vote on one per grade for someone that is just an overall well rounded, helpful, smart, freindly, all around "good kid" award.
So you see, there is a small glimpse into my oldest kiddo, my Jackson. He does his name proud. He just a ray of sunshine in our families life.
Im extremely proud to call him son!
3 comments:
Yes, he is indeed a very, very special person. Love him so much and can't even begin to describe how proud I am of him! You give that boy a big ol' hug from Auntie La La.
I agree Jackson rocks and it just reaffirms my faith in the next generation when I look at him, my kids, and my nephew. The boys become very special men and I can't wait to hear you tell me all about Jackson's teenage years as I tell you about my kids. You have truly been blessed.
How can we not like someone with the name "Jackson"? Seriously, he is indeed a golden child. Deep in spirituality, love, and caring, I agree with Chele...the next generation is going to be fine.
Love ya,
Dad
Post a Comment