Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Sister

Ok so my sis has been on my mind a lot lately. I think its b/c I saw MAMA MIA! this past weekend and it just reminded me of her and I and our ABBA performing days.

She is a little older, 2 years and 4 months older from Feb to June and then 3 years. We haven’t always been friends. Yes, we’ve always been sisters, but there were days that we were the last person we wanted to “hang with”.. well I should say SHE wanted to hang with.

Back when we were kids… I was the annoying little sister. But we did have fun times too. We stayed up late when we had a babysitter. We used to speak in Scooby Doo language to each other (Rut Roh Rauri) and just do silly things like that. She was more into Barbies whereas I was all about the baby doll. Soon she moved on to Records and her own room. I remember when she got the “other room” – my dad painting it purple.. REAL purple. My mom, who worked at the elementary school, brought home this machine and put a Rose up on the wall – and my dad traced it and then painted it for her. She had the coolest room.

Soon after that time, she was all about boys and I became increasing more annoying to her. We fought like cats and dogs over stupid things. (I won ‘t even mention the whole TV in the bathroom argument Lauri LOL)

Fast-forward a lot of years. I went away to college and she was off doing the married thing. It wasn’t a good time for her, and things were coming to end with her marriage. I remember getting a call in my dorm room and it was like something changed us both that night. I wanted to be there for her and she needed me. To me that’s when our relationship and bond grew to a new level. I mean we’d been friends prior to all of this but that’s when it moved to a more mature trusting friendship.

That was all years ago, weird for me to say that, but it was. Now, I can’t imagine a day without my sister. I can’t fathom not emailing her 10 times a day about silly things my boys are doing or saying, or fussing about our husbands, or talking about the latest article in People Magazine. Our lives are much more complicated these days – being all grown up and all – but with each complicated day we lean further on each other and love each other more… because we “get” each other.

We’re sisters.. we’re friends.. we’re birth sisters.. we’re soul sisters..

There is one scene in the MAMA MIA! movie that just brings back all those feel good times as kids.. where they are singing into hairbrushes and hairdryers, and whatever they happen to pickup. Sometimes I long to be jumping on the bed, singing one of our favorites (probably something by Kenny Chesney) into our hairbrushes… and just being goofy sisters!

I love ya LA!

3 comments:

Chele said...

Ahh, this post made me smile. It's wonderful you have that bond with your sister. Derek and Jake have the same type of bond and they don't really fight or argue at all......maybe because they are guys and only 14 months apart. I don't know but it's wonderful to see. I'm sure she loves you just as much.

Anonymous said...

My sweet wonderful sissy! Thank you so much for that lovely blog and trek down memeory lane! Yes, I remember each and every second! I have said it before and it remains truer than ever....I DO NOT know where I would be without you. You are truly my best friend in the entire universe. You are the reason I am still somewhat sane! I LOVE you too sweetie. And I thank God every day for making us sisters!

Anonymous said...

OMG Jules I am all teary eyed! That post was so cool. I love it! I have two sisters, one is a good friend to me - we chat all day on messenger, etc but she's sort of hard to get along with although, I just ignore her when she acts like that! LOL My other sister lives in the same town as us but we never see her. She would much rather not have anything to do with the family and that makes me sad. :(

Anyway, great post!