Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Truth of the Matter...

is that I don't really like to cook.

Don't ask me why, its just a real pain to me. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat, but the prep, the clean up, the whole thing is just not enjoyable to me. This is just unreal to me because my mom can cook like you can't imagine. I have always teased my mom about the mess she makes when she cooks us all a big meal, dirtying up every pot and pan and dish she owns. But man she makes the best food in the world. She learned it from her mom, my Dee Dee, oh we used to LOVE to go to Dee Dee's for lunch, her green beans were the BEST in the world!

So WHY did I not get that gene? I mean I cook, and it tastes fine, but its a chore. And to mess up my kitchen after cleaning it 10 times that day is just insane to me. I'm one of these that washes everything as I use it so not only am I cooking, I'm cleaning at the same time.. only to be faced with more dishes to do after we eat.. which takes all of 10 minutes after hours of prep.

Therefore, we eat out. Alot. Now, we live in a small town with not so many choices of reasonably priced good food. So its always the same, we get in the van, we all say "what are you in the mood for" and nobody can agree or knows what they want. Yet, we pull out of the garage and ride somewhere to eat. Seems silly, right? Wasting money eating out on a meal we aren't even sure we want.

So why does all of this matter anyway?

Seems the truth of the matter is that Jackson had his first Cub Scout meeting yesterday. One of their "assignments" is to keep a daily food journal of all meals and snacks. I started sweating in my palms reading that he has to do this. OH NO I have to cook.. and somewhat healthy meals! Geez, this is a big chore. I mean I don't want him to report "Larry's Sub, Chick Fil A, Barberitos" now THAT would be embarrassing!

So looks as though Im forced to actually make dinners. Last night was a stellar meal of chicken nuggets and mac n cheese - what? all the magazines say mac n cheese is a healthy meal for kids. I mean you use milk, a little butter, its got some carbs in there and that over the top healthy powdered cheese! And the chicken nuggets, well they are BAKED in my oven not deep fried. So that's good right?

Tonight is meatloaf. Jackson LOVES my moms mashed potatoes, so I figured perfect! However, in my rushed trip to the grocery store with every elderly in town preparing for Hurricane Fay (which btw, hasn't dropped one drop of rain on us) I forgot potatoes. (insert roll eyes here). I wonder if instant mashed potatoes are healthy.

I don't know WHY this cooking gene skipped me. So meemaw, if you read this, can you jump on down and cook for us this month so Jackson's journal will be stellar?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! We are like the same person when it comes to cooking. I hate it too and also do the cook/clean-up-as-you-go routine. Too funny! I did NOT grow up with great cooks, however. So there's no question about where my genes come from!!

Jack said...

I'd like to write more, but I'm too full from the biscuits, sausage, sliced tomatoes, etc. that Mom put out for us to eat.

I wonder where you got that "anal retentive" gene from that compels you to clean as you go. Hmmmmmmm.

Love ya,
Dad

Chele said...

Okay, as one neat control freak to another.....you just to adjust your thinking and do some planning. lol!

When it's NOT hurricane season I spend one full day in the kitchen making two big pots of pasta sauce. I freeze some with meatballs and Italian sausage and I make 4-5 lasagnas and freeze them. When I make meatloaf I buy the big family pack and make two. One gets eaten and the other gets frozen for a future dinner. When we bake chicken or grill chicken I make extras so we can have chicken ceasar salad later in the week. I make large pots of soups and chili's during the cooler months and freeze them. They are great with cheddar biscuits or grilled cheese sandwiches and/or a salad. Breakfast for dinner is a house favorite. The crock pot pepper steak will be doubled the next time I make it and half will go into the freezer for a future meal. The kids cook one night of the week and it can be anything from a pot roast in the crock pot to tacos. Whomever cooks does not clean up everyone else does. However, they have it easier on clean up than me because I do clean as I go.

Anonymous said...

I think Chele and I are sisters...Sundays are my cooking days and I make stuff, freeze stuff, etc. Now, I can't cook like my mom, but I get by and fam isn't starving. Hang in there love...it won't be as bad as you think!
LOVE YOU!

Sherri said...

As Chele well knows, I LOVE to cook...but when she was growing up, I worked a lot of long hours and did a bit of traveling. She learned to cook from her Pop and me --- the cleaning while you cook bit, she got from her Pop. I'm a little better than I used to be these days about that part, but Pop is still far more organized.

I still love experimenting with recipes and we eat at home most of the time. One of the wonderful benefits of being retired is having the time to do the things you love to do.

Anonymous said...

Sherri
What time shall I be there for dinner tomorrow? lol