So the last time I blogged it was Jackson's 11th Birthday. Here I sit, just 2 weeks from his 12th finding it hard to believe it's been almost a year since I did this last. I pondered what to write about really. Everything in our life from 1 year ago has changed. I was unemployed looking for a job, now I'm working full time at the Brunswick Country Club as their accountant. I love it mostly. No, really, I do.... It has been a year of adjusting quite honestly but I think we're all doing well. So a quick update and then a funny replay of the last few weeks.
Jackson is about to be 12. He started Middle School this year and while it was scary for me, he's adjusted well and is maintaining his AB grades and making new friends. Nathan just turned 4.. I know, can you even believe that? He is still crazy Nate and keeps me shaking my head in wonder, makes me laugh and keeps me very busy. He's going to a great sitters house while I work (he couldn't do preschool but more on that in a bit)... and he LOVES "MeMa Joanne". Bryan is still working lots and liking his job. He's still golfing and I think secretly LOVES the fact that I, Mrs. Hate Golf, am working at a Golf club.
So on to my "funny". Of course it involves Nathan. Back this summer we started with the "ok it's now time for you be potty trained". He was 3.5 years old and Jackson was trained by then so it was just time. Nate, however, disagreed. I wanted to start him in preschool this fall, however, nobody would enroll him in diapers. The battle went on.. "Nate it's time for you start working on potty training, you are almost 4" "No, I'm still your baby and I love diapers". And so it went like this for MONTHS. EVERYONE WE KNOW tried to convince him that it was time and he was ready. So a little over a week ago I decided I was done. I declared to Nathan I was NOT going to buy another diaper ever. He had a choice.. pull ups or underwear and use the potty. We went to the zoo that Saturday for his birthday and he proudly walked around in his diaper. Sunday morning Nate wanted his last diaper changed. I told him we were out of diapers and he could put on a pull up or underwear. This is where it got ugly.
Hours upon hours of crying, screaming, more crying, more screaming, and flat out refusal to even walk PAST the bathroom was how we spent our Sunday. My tears were from pure frustration. His were pure determination.
On Monday I took him to his sitters and told her about our previous day. She had no idea WHAT to do with Nate. Fast forward the day to when I go pick him up. MeMa Joanne called him over to me and said "Nate, tell mom what you did today?" and let me ASSURE you this question makes me cringe because with Nate - you just NEVER know. He said "Oh I went pee on the potty". It was if the heavens opened up and the angels sang! I almost pee'd myself right there I was so excited. Not just once, but ALL DAY he used the potty. He has now gone 8 days without an accident and we haven't even had to tell him to go - he just gets up and goes. I have to say, he has trained himself.
Now, I don't know if he realized we were just THAT serious, or if he realized that in 2 days he was going to be four and his deadline was fast approaching, or if he (which would be in Nate fashion) was laughing on the inside tormenting us to see just how long we would hold out.... but whatever his reason or readiness I am SUPER proud of him and SUPER glad that my days with diapers are over. Well, at least until we visit those of the adult nature.
So Nathan is now officially a "big boy" and he corrects me when I call him Baby. I know he will be always be my baby because I'm 41 and I'm still my mom's baby. But I can only admit this here, in the silence of my blog, where nobody can else can hear, I am a LITTLE sad that my BABY is growing up as fast as my first babe.
3 comments:
SO So proud of Nate man! He was ready, just didn't want to let go! Great post, love. Missed them! And yes, as Mom to a 22 year old and an about to be 18 year old....they are and will always remain my babies. Love ya'll!
Welcome back! You inspired me to begin my own blog, so here you are again....giving me the necessary "boot" to get back to work.
Hug the Nater-man for us, our baby girl.
Love all,
Mom & Dad
LOL! Yay! for Nate and Yay! for you not giving in and letting him control everything. Nate is incredibly smart and he realized you and Bryan weren't budging so it was better to give in. lol
Good to see you blogging again. You could blog Natism and have extra material.
Post a Comment